Sunday, September 9, 2012

Darn. Suck it up, Singapore.

This post is probably a result of too much reading about globalisation and what not crap at the last minute for the social studies test tomorrow.

The topic is "Globalisation" "Singapore" "Heartware" "Hardware".

The person here is a "new immigrant", the "deadly enemy" of some "native Singaporeans" who is, alas, not born on this sacred piece of a red dot.

Sense my sarcasm. Only that there's nothing to be sarcastic about, only to be sad about.

The person here is also extremely immature, both age wise and brain wise. This person has also lead a very sheltered life so far. So just bear with me.

I really don't want this to be a complaint. Let's do a sum-up of all the conflicting viewpoints about The Singaporean Society (pop. 4mil?), the $ sign, globalisation and The Government.

Views:
http://youdonthavetoagree.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/letter-to-singapore/
----mainly negative
-Singapore society is too "jaded"
-High pressure, etc. - government just chase for profit
-Ha, we used to believe in "no gambling" and stood up for that belief, so what's up now?
-"Embrace variety"? Or is it just "tolerate"?
-Too much "hardware", too focused on the shallow glossy surface
-Damn immigrant expats.
-Well maybe not, but plenty of anti-sentiments against them and PAP for showing favouritism to those people
-...and the competition they bring, even those who are "new here" like me.
-Hey, can we stop focusing on just trying to survive? On the "footage of HDB flats"? We can do much more.

Continuing if I get more...but that's about the gist of it.

---somewhat in contrary to the above
-Change is in your hands mates! Let the young generation redefine Singapore.
-Get more babies and stop migrating if you don't like "foreigners". Period. (government coughcough)
-Singaporeans will become extinct. We will lose jobs, lose investments... our neighbours will catch up...blah blah...CONCLUSION: You swim or you sink (coughcough LKY/LHL...)


On the bright side of things...
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120909-0000043/Key-challenge-of-Spore-conversation-is-managing-expectations--PM-Lee
+that national day rally.


Okay. Breath.

From MY view, this is quite ridiculous.
I'm very fortunate to have a school with a social studies program that allows us to explore such topics, and keep in touch with the world and our country. I'm really grateful for that. I'm grateful that I have a teacher who is genuinely concerned about this country's future and how the younger generation thinks and knows.

Look at the SS textbooks of other secondary schools. I shall daringly suggest that they are almost equivalents of what we call "propaganda" (not that I'm very against it). The whole purpose-filled National Education system/module is, to be honest, pretty disturbing (especially to scholars and people like me - no offence). I can tell that (most) teachers, although they respect the whole idea, cannot seem to take it seriously as well.

What has made me feel much more Singaporean is this whole social studies program, which we discuss issues and make comments that are perhaps more or less inappropriate (aka, politically incorrect) - especially about government/political issues. Funny thing is, even though we make lots of comments (coughs) about the ruling party, most of us still supports it. It is really worrying to see the whole wave of anti-PAP sentiments coming in from people who, if I may purpose, have no idea of what they are doing.

PAP had its problems. PAP had its fair share of failures. To chase them out and saying that they are brainwashing people? Erm.

Singaporeans' expectations keep rising to don't know where, and I just can't stand the ignorance sometimes.

I also can't stand the narrow minds here. I've tried hard to be accepted into this society, and largely I've been successful - modifying my accent when speaking Chinese, learning Singlish, etc. The vary fact that I realised I need to do this somehow in my toddling years to avoid getting disadvantaged is something.

Gosh idk what I'm writing anymore. Will probably fail test tomorrow. Too tired to care. Too fed up (for whatever reason) to care.

Probably leaving for Canada next year.
.....har, har.   .____.

No comments:

Post a Comment